The NSW Department of Education Confucius Institute has sole responsibility for the establishment of Confucius Classrooms in NSW public schools.
The role of a Confucius Classroom is to deliver support at a local level for Chinese language and cultural education.
When fully operational the NSW Department of Education Confucius Institute will:
- coordinate applications from the Department's regional offices to establish Confucius Classrooms
- coordinate communication between Confucius Classrooms and the Confucius Institute Headquarters in Beijing
- coordinate the preparation of reports and resource applications by Confucius Classrooms
- facilitate the sharing of information and ideas among Confucius Classrooms.
The Department's Confucius Classrooms will:
- collaborate closely with the Department's Confucius Institute
- deliver exemplary teaching and learning programs for Chinese language and culture
- provide professional learning opportunities for Chinese teachers in the region, including opportunities to observe and share teaching and learning programs
- contribute to a resource bank of quality assured teaching and learning materials for Chinese, including multimedia, for use by schools in the region and across the state
- establish a technology hub to facilitate communication between schools in the region and schools in China
- provide support in the region for the Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi (HSK) Chinese language proficiency tests for teachers and students and the Chinese Bridge-Chinese Proficiency competitions for secondary students
- provide opportunities for school community engagement with Chinese language and culture events.
The first group of Confucius Classrooms in the NSW Department of Education are located at the following schools:
- Coffs Harbour High School
- Fort Street High School
- Kingsgrove North High School
- Mosman High School
- Rooty Hill High School
The second group of Confucius Classrooms in the NSW Department of Education was established in February 2015. They are located at the following schools: