The NSW Department of Education and Communities Confucius Institute has sole responsibility for the establishment of Confucius Classrooms in NSW public schools.
The role of a Confucius Classroom is to deliver support at a local level for Chinese language and cultural education.
When fully operational the NSW Department of Education and Communities Confucius Institute will:
- coordinate applications from the Department's regional offices to establish Confucius Classrooms
- coordinate communication between Confucius Classrooms and the Confucius Institute Headquarters in Beijing
- coordinate the preparation of reports and resource applications by Confucius Classrooms
- facilitate the sharing of information and ideas among Confucius Classrooms.
The Department's Confucius Classrooms will:
- collaborate closely with the Department's Confucius Institute
- deliver exemplary teaching and learning programs for Chinese language and culture
- provide professional learning opportunities for Chinese teachers in the region, including opportunities to observe and share teaching and learning programs
- contribute to a resource bank of quality assured teaching and learning materials for Chinese, including multimedia, for use by schools in the region and across the state
- establish a technology hub to facilitate communication between schools in the region and schools in China
- provide support in the region for the Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi (HSK) Chinese language proficiency tests for teachers and students and the Chinese Bridge-Chinese Proficiency competitions for secondary students
- provide opportunities for school community engagement with Chinese language and culture events.
The first group of Confucius Classrooms in the NSW Department of Education and Communities will be located at the following schools:
- Coffs Harbour High School (North Coast Region)
- Fort Street High School (Sydney Region)
- Kingsgrove North High School (Sydney Region)
- Mosman High School (Northern Sydney Region)
- Rooty Hill High School (Western Sydney Region)